Sunday, November 4, 2012

You might be an Empath if.......




I'm not a big fan of Jeff Foxworthy, but I do find his "You might be a redneck if....." comedy sketches extremely funny and so accurate.  While doing some research about empathy I realize  I could do a similiar skit but replace the word 'redneck' with 'Empath'. 

I've always known that I was a bit of an empath, although I use to call myself chameleon. I could always have conversations and 'fit in' with anyone from a crazy homeless person to celebrities, hillbilly moonshiners to multi millonaire business people, etc... It is an ability my friends find most entertaining. Over the years, I've realized it is a bit more than just being able to connect with diverse groups of people.I never thought it was a bad thing.  I have just recently realized how strong it is and how deeply (and detrimentally) it has affected me, my relationships with people throught out my life.

While looking for information, I came across the blog "Psychic but Sane" by Anna Conlon and it has been extremely helpful to me.  The first article I read was Signs That You’re An Empath . I read thatn it was such a WOW moment for me, I am the poster child for that article LOL.  An overactive 'unskilled'  Empath literally steps into someone else's shoes. I can not only read moods, but I can also 'feel' them.  Not so bad when someone is joyous, but when people/animals are in pain or grieving I feel the same.  I know they aren't MY feelings but I am feeling them just the same.  Thankfully, Anna has written a series of articles including, Is Overactive Empathy Ruining Your Life?" and the extremely helpful  "How to Turn Off Overactive Empathy"  I use to do simple closing and clearing when I was working as a massage therapist, but I know now it wasn't enough for someone like me. 

I am happy to learn why I have been the way I am. I wish I had learned this many many years ago, it would have saved me so much heartache.  But, you learn things when you are supposed to and for me the time is now.   It's not going to be something I can learn to turn off and on in a day. I'm working on it though, and I already feel better.  ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment