Saturday, December 1, 2012

Book Review: How to know if You Are A Medium


 
My own Rating system: 3 out of 5 Ghosts



I recently bought "How To Know If You're A Medium" by Lorraine Holloway-White.  It's available both as a hardcopy and Kindle version which is about 2/3rds the price of the printed book.  I don't get a lot of ebooks, but this one was on sale for $2.99 so I thought it was worth a shot.

I enjoyed the book but I don't feel it's the 'best' one out there.  For anyone out there 'unsure' if they are senstive or not this book will help them.  I have been really hesitant to use the term "Medium" in regards to myself so I'm subsituting Sensitive.  I guess I am always questioning myself whether I AM or not, so it was good for me to read it and get validation. As I've said before, I've had a lot of experiences since as long as I can remember. However, only THIS year have I really realized/accepted that my experience with Spirit is a wee bit more involved than the 'general' ghostly experiences of others.  But I digress, back to the book!  She talks about the various ways of being sensitive, different experiences, and basically answers a lot of FAQ's. This isn't a book on how to develop skills but just if you HAVE skills.  But I have to be honest and say there are a few things that bothered me about it.  
 
In the book, she comes across as really bitter towards the Spiritualist Church. It may not bother others who read this, but I found it a downer. MOST people in this field are pretty openminded and/or know not to say things that may turn off the buying/supportive public. The header on her website says "As a Natural Born Medium – I am a 'Sensitive' NOT a spiritualist"  That kinda sums it up doesn't it??? If I had seen that before reading the book I would have been prepared for her thoughts about Spiritualists. In the book, she wrote that she was a devout Catholic and didn't agree with anything about the Spiritualist Church. She also wrote that she had attended classes there but didn't like they were trying to make mediums out of people who weren't born with that talent.  I can understand not agreeing with another form of religion but to air your grievances in public so strongly could turn people off. I understand that that was her experience with the Church she was at, but I think its wrong to state that EVERY Spiritualist church is bad.   She mentions her displeasure with Spiritualists so many times throughout the book, that her negative energy really put a damper on it for me. Not to sound too hippy-dippy airy-fairy but I'm Sensitive!
 
Another thing that didn't sit right with me was questions about charging for your work. She feels you shouldn't charge much, shouldn't charge by the hour and those that are charging a lot of money aren't really good mediums. Again, another gross generalization of people! Sorry but I will respectfully disagree.  Why SHOULDN'T a talented medium or psychic charge more as their skills and experience grows?   Just because it is a "natural" skill doesn't make it worth-less.  LOTS of skills are "natural" such as artistic skill, athletic skill, intelligence, etc... Should professional artists, atheletes and intellectuals NOT charge for their skills?? I am sure John Edwards charges more then $75 a session (that was what she thought American mediums should charge).  I kinda got the feeling that she was bitter because she's been doing it for years and now all these 'new' people are in the spotlight and on TV making it their career and she is one of them. 

The biggest thing that bothered me about this book was her stance on protecting oneself. The author wrote that you don't need to do any kind of psychic protection and that is was a made up ritual with no basis in fact. Her quote was "If you are doing the work of Good than you have nothing to worry about". That's a misleading and dangerous thing to suggest to newcomers or anyone doing any kind of psychic, paranormal or spiritual work.  I have always done "Good" work and I can tell you I have come across some negative and downright evil energy.  To tell someone NOT to psychically protect themselves is wrong!

If this book hadn't had three things that bothered me, I would have given it a 4 out of 5 rating. I would like to read some of her other books and will be looking at those in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment